Board of Nursing
Length of Program 500 hours
License Required Yes
Practicing MTs 7,123
CE Requirements 24 CE / 2 years

Massage Therapy

Massage Therapy is governed by the Virginia Department of Health Professions, Board of Nursing.

The State of Virginia requires the following to obtain a Massage Therapy License:

  1. Successful completion of a minimum 500 hours approved massage therapy program
  2. Successful completion of the MBLEx national licensing exam
  3. Completion of criminal history background check

The Massage Therapist license must be renewed biennially. In order to renew, the licensee must be certified by the NCBTMB or complete the required  continuing education.

Continuing Education Information

Unless a therapist is certified by the NCBTMB, which has its own requirements, a massage therapist must complete 24 CE every two years for license renewal. This requirement is waived for the first license renewal after the initial licensure. Of the 24 CE, at least 1 CE must be in Professional Ethics.

Of the required 24 CE, a minimum of 12 CE hours must be in activities or courses provided by an approved provider with the NCTMB or FSMTB.

The State of Virginia* accepts courses for continuing education hours from providers in the CE Registry. The State of Virginia also accept courses for continuing education hours from providers approved by the NCBTMB.

Dexterity PD is a proud Approved Provider with the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB). Our courses are available and listed in the CE Registry. Course completion records are stored in the national Massage Therapy Licensing Database (MTLD) for permanent recording.

Dexterity PD is a proud Approved Provider with the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB). The most current list of our courses approved by the NCBTMB can be found on our NCBTMB Approved Provider Profile Page.

*Please confirm with your state as the list of states that accept courses through CE Registry may change. Additionally, please refer to your State and/or Licensing body for details and authoritative information on requirements.