Massage Therapy is governed by the Tennessee Department of Health, Board of Massage Licensure
The State of Tennessee requires the following to obtain a Massage Therapy License:
- Successful completion of a minimum 500 hours approved massage therapy, bodywork, and or somatic therapy program
- Successful completion of minimum 5 classroom hours of instruction regarding Tennessee massage statutes and regulations
- Successful completion of the MBLEx or a licensing exam from the NCBTMB
- Two recent reference letters from health care professionals
- Criminal background check
- Completion of the Mandatory Practitioner Profile Questionnaire
The Massage Therapy License is subject to renewal by December 31 of every even year.
Continuing Education Information
Renewal of the Massage Therapist License requires the completion of 24 CE per two-year period.
The State of Tennessee* accepts courses for continuing education hours from providers in the CE Registry. The State of Tennessee also accepts courses for continuing education hours from providers approved by the NCBTMB. Continuing education must be reported to CE Broker.
Dexterity PD is a proud Approved Provider with the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB). Our courses are available and listed in the CE Registry. Course completion records are stored in the national Massage Therapy Licensing Database (MTLD) for permanent recording.
Dexterity PD is a proud Approved Provider with the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB). The most current list of our courses approved by the NCBTMB can be found on our NCBTMB Approved Provider Profile Page. Our courses are available and listed in CE Broker.
*Please confirm with your state as the list of states that accept courses through CE Registry may change. Additionally, please refer to your State and/or Licensing body for details and authoritative information on requirements.